Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A notetaker I am.


I tend to take notes.  I always have, and I always will.  I have so much going on- on a daily basis, and such long days at work, that it is possible for me to forget snippets of conversations, and random things to look up.  And the fact that we talk about any and everything all day long, means any and everything could lead to a potential "google" moment.

Thus, my incessant note taking.  :)

Well, today I was using a pencil, and thinking to myself that I actually ::prefer:: pencil to pen in an overwhelmingly obtuse way.  Pencil has my heart, as it were.  It writes smoother, it doesn't smear (it smudges), and it's forgiving.  Pen, on the other hand, more often than not, is too BOLD.  The ink just flows out... and the longer you hold you pen to the paper, the more ink comes out.  It doesn't play nice.  And it bothers me that it's that hard to control.

Random, I know.

But anyways, it lead me to thinking about my artwork that I'd done in the past, and how I came to love drawing with pencil and charcoal.  The picture above was completed during my second semester of college.  I took a Drawing and Painting I class (at 8:00 in the morning, mind you), and fell in love with the idea of shading and creation, and altering with pencil and charcoal.  I had a great teacher, and he really inspired me.  Some of my greatest work appeared during this time in my life.

Below, some of my favorites make up the composition of the picture.  We dealt a lot with emotion and feeling, and even spent one class in complete darkness, drawing with charcoal, while listening to a audio piece.  The result (the dark one on the right) was dramatic and deep.  I was amazed at what I was able to come up with by just listening to something, and drawing - blindly.


Some days I think it would be good to go back and practice some of what he taught.
Maybe go into the bathroom, close the door, and turn off the lights, sit down on the floor, big pad of paper before me, charcoal in hand, and draw.  I'll turn my ipod on (maybe to some Classical and Big Band) and just draw what I feel or hear.

And then I could title it...
"Notetaker"

No comments: