Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Fire



Today is the first time in a long time, that I lit a candle.
It's not that I don't like candles, or fear fire or anything... I just never get around to lighting them.
Which is a shame, because they're nice.

Today, I wanted to do nothing more but cuddle up under a blanket and watch movies.
It's rainy something awful out, and it's cold, and my ear is bothering me.
Combine all three, and yes, definitely a great day to stay in, and on the couch.
And light a candle.
And now, it smells like "AppleMint" which is actually mostly green apple-ish smelling.
And it's parked right under the tv, so I can see it flickering, and that makes me happy.

It's soothing really, watching a candle burn.
The slight undulations of the flame.
The pool of melted wax at the bottom of the wick.
The slight warmth of the glass jar, capturing the flame's heat.
And the fragrance... crisp, sour, and calming.

Yes, I should do this more often!

I guess the last time I even played with matches was camping last May.
Gosh, has it really been that long?
We would sit there and fuse matches together by lighting one, and then sticking another to it's head while it was burning.  It was neat to watch.  It would make the flame bigger (and louder) for a second, then it would die down, we'd blow it out, and you'd have two matches sticking together.  And when I say "bigger" and "louder", think on a match scale, so rather small actually.  We must've been listening very intently and watching very closely.  lol.
I'm looking forward to "practicing" some more soon, hopefully this spring!

Good songs to listen to, while burning candles:
"Fire" by the Glee Cast
"One Headlight" by the Wallflowers
"Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
"Light my Candle" by the Rent Cast
"Fire Escape" by Diane Birch
"Keep the Candle Burning" by Avalon
"Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash
"Bright Lights" by Matchbox 20
"Teardrops On The Fire" by Massive Attack
"Narrow Daylight" by Dianna Krall
"Lighted Up" by Gabriel Mann
"Moonlight Serenade" by Satin Doll (Big Band)

------
Today is the 22nd day of my 365 Project!

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

LETS GO CAMPING!!!!
-Kait Woods