Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th

We had a lovely July 4th, and I hope you did too!  Gary and I woke up at 4 this morning to get the ribs into the oven.  We marinated them in a pork rub overnight and let them sit in a bath of apple juice.  Once in the oven, we cooked them low and slow until noon, and then finished them off on the grill, basting them with a sweet vidalia onion bbq sauce along the way.  This was out first experience cooking ribs, and they were amazing!  Super tender and great flavor!  Along with it we had a squash casserole, baked beans and cole slaw, spinach dip, watermelon, and strawberries.  Twas fantastic!  Oh, and we also had these little diddies that I experimented with as well: mini sweet peppers filled with  a concoction of cream cheese, sour cream, minced garlic, and fresh basil.  They were interesting...  lol.  I think the filling needs some work, aand it helps if you really really like sweet peppers, but I loved the presentation and would make them again!

In other news, I accomplished my goal and completed two projects this weekend!  The first is a bekuz block for a new little baby boy that was born today.  The second is a bekuz block for the bride and groom of the wedding we will be attending this weekend.  Both turned out super cute, and I can't wait to give them both out!  It felt great to create again.  That black desk that was once spic-and-span is now covered with pieces of ephemera, scraps of paper, paint brushes and glue.  :)  It'll be cleaned up within the next few days though... the kitties will be missing their perch otherwise.

 
 I hope everyone had a fun and safe Fourth!  Right now, the rain is coming down (which sadly may put a damper on some of tonight's festivities), and we are getting ready to heat up some left-overs and relax the rest of the evening away.  A best of the week to everyone!  I know it's going to be a crazy one, but it will be great!!  Adieu!

No comments: