Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Meet Gus



Gus is my asparagus plant.
He is very young, and very fragile, and will need to live inside for the next year, and then we may actually see little asparagusses when we get to plant him with the other plants.  The woman at the market told us that he requires a bit of commitment, to which I responded that we are commitment-phobes.  Heh.  Not even a chuckle from her.  lol.  (I would choose a needy plant... )  But I do like a challenge, and all I have to do is keep him happy!  It should be easy enough.  I'm going to keep it in the kitchen window, water it on the regular, and watch for drafts.  I'm not really sure what to expect with this one, and at first, I regretted getting him, but now I'm excited!  It'll be nice to have him on the windowsill all year.  I will undoubtedly talk to him, and he will be able to watch outside, and he will be out of the elements, so all-in-all, I think he's going to be very happy there.

I'm looking forward to watching it grow... a whole year's worth will surely keep me occupied!

We got the container gardens going this weekend!  :)
I am really pleased with the way they turned out, and happy that they are "put together".
Next weekend, when everything is officially in the go, I will put up lots of pictures and a sort of step-by-step for those wanting some suggestions.  I did a bit of research, and this is what I came up with, so hopefully it will help!  We are going to be growing 5 different varieties of tomatoes (Mr. Stripey, Big Boy, Cherokee Purple, SunGold, and Cherry Red), squash, romaine lettuce, and herbs.  The herb garden is set up on the chat set table, and I already love it!!  We have a few good, different pots so it's fun to look at, and the different textures and smells in the herbs are just plain fun.


We are growing:
thyme - tiny, fancy leaves - in the wood chair planter
cilantro - one of my favorite herbs - white floral ceramic planter
basil - smells great, and Gary likes - small red planter
mint - childhood-memory-inducing - big pot in the middle
chives - very useable... we love chives - brown toned planter

I also have a small pot of petunias (we got way too many of these so I was divying them up everywhere - they're in the blue pot here), and have potted my Corkscrew Rush (in the black ceramic planter), both also with the herbs.  They both add a nice variation and some more texture to the table.  I can't wait till every pot is over-flowing in herbal goodness...!

Who am I kidding, I'm excited about everything in the garden!  Yay!
And that was my weekend.  It was a lot of work, and it was very dirty...  lol.  It's amazing the places dirt can get into, and my nails haven't had that much dirt under them in a very very long time. 
Playing in the dirt will do that though. 
And then, you get a shower. 

No comments: