Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Herb Happiness


So far, the thyme is my favorite herb.  The tiny leaves are absolutely adorable, and it is growing sooo fast and taking over the little chair planter rather quickly.... just as I was hoping it would.  :) 

All of the herbs are doing really well actually!  The cilantro shot up about 3 inches over the last week and a half, and so did the basil.  So much so that I am wondering about staking them so that they don't tumbler over... they're a bit top-heavy.  The mint is expanding, although it is still really tight and bunched in, and the chives are doing their own thing: making new little baby chives, sprouting, and going in lots of different angles. 

I am really, really enjoying watching them grow!  I think this week has been really good for them in terms of warm weather, sun, and daily watering.  All of the plants seem to be benefiting quite nicely, and even the corkscrew rush is thriving!

All in all, I'm loving it!  :)  I pinched a little piece off of the cilantro, basil, and mint and just smelled them for a bit.  One of my favorite memories was picking the mint by the pool up in Arrowhead, and smelling the leaves.  The mint had definitely taken over the little area, but every summer when we would visit, that would be one of my most favorite things to do...  I think that's why I put the mint in such a big pot.  I'm expecting it to grow huge and totally take over the confines of the container, and smell amazing.  It's not the traditional mint though, I dare say it may even be a spearmint variety, but I still love it.  And find it adorable.  I was fluffing it today, and I actually found one shooter that was a good 3 inches longer than any of the other vines.  I take that as a good sign.  The basil is the most poignant, smell wise.  You can basically just walk up to the table, and you can smell it.  It smells amazing!!  And so fresh.  It makes me want to make pesto - which I've never attempted before.  And the cilantro.  Mmmm!  It's so blunt.  So fresh.  It would be great in a homemade salsa!

Anywho, the herbs are making me happy!
I'm enjoying my little garden so much, and it's just the beginning!
:)

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

They look so good! Great job fancy pants!