Pages

Friday, December 23, 2016

Merry Christmas Adam

Tonight I asked G if it would be weird/okay if we didn't get to see Santa this year. He reassured me that we did not need to and that it wouldn't hurt anyone if we didn't. I felt a sort of immediate relief at that. I find myself needing the picture of the two kids sitting on Santa's lap to share with the world. But then I'm like... "for what?". And I'm not sure if it's slightly bah-humbug-ish, or if I'm struggling/coming to terms with the consumerism of Christmas, or if I need to take a break from social media so that I can stop comparing myself and my family to others...

But anywho, back to today and back to Santa. For the record, we tried. We had plans to go to a Christmas-lit hayride tonight, and Santa was to be there, so we were all set! But then the plans changed for the other half of our party and we are post-poning it a week. That meant no pre-Christmas Santa. So today, after being cooped up at home with a toddler ailed with strep and a hubby trying to work, I decided that we would pick up the baby from daycare, venture to the mall, pop in for a quick minute to see Santa, then be on our way to get the rest of the things done (because if you know me, you know that there are always things to be done). Well that plan went about as well as the rest of my day. Read not.

The mall was packed! The line to see Santa was super long! The only store we needed to go into for kid pajamas (thanks to a gift card) was also packed and lacked the cuteness that I was hoping for. No go. So with babies in hand (albeit slightly tired and hungry), we made our way back to the car, through the sea of people, up the escalator with a stroller, and out the closest door we could find.

Total bust.
No Santa. No PJs.

We opted for the Arby's for dinner. It has an extra large dining area and is never busy, so we don't feel weird about Penny running amuck. Which she enjoys doing btw. Then we hightailed it to the Hobby store, picked up one gift, then made it home.

And now everyone else is sleeping.
I can sit. The only sound is the breathing of the souls in this place, and the slight whoosh of the ceiling fan above me.

I feel like I need to pray and re-center. I heard once that when things seem to be going wrong, find God. Make Him the center and ask Him to direct. Today was definitely one of those days where things were going wrong. But it's okay. It's just a day. Time moves on.

Image: @andrearhowey (Instagram)

I saw this verse (different translation) on the back of a pick-up a few weeks ago and it has kinda stuck with me. I am all about believing that God has a path and that every moment is part of that path, but I need to be better about trusting and seeking His will.

Maybe a resolution for 2017?

At any rate, tonight is Christmas Adam. Adam was before Eve. 😜 I saw someone mention that on social media and hearted it. That's a good way to end today. Tonight we shall dream, and tomorrow shall be welcomed in all of it's glory. 

Merry Christmas Adam!

No comments: